Doctor in Computer Science (PhD), City, University of London, 2007.
- February 2019-present: Ramon y Cajal Research Fellow, Department of Computer Systems and Languages (LSI), University of the Basque Country.
- April 2018-February 2019: Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Systems and Languages (LSI), University of the Basque Country.
- January 2012-April 2018: Research Fellow at IXA NLP Group. University of the Basque Country.
- May 2011-January 2012: Researcher in Computational Linguistics at University of Deusto, Bilbao, Basque Country.
- November 2009-May 2011: Project Manager in Computational Linguistics at Vicomtech.
- January-October 2009: Research Fellow, GSI Group, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM), Madrid, Spain, Consorcio Mavir. Research on Computational Semantics, Sentiment Analysis and application of linguistic techniques for Information Retrieval.
- December 2005-December 2008, Research Fellow, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, B15 2TT Birmingham, UK. Research on Computational Semantics and Figurative Language.
- 2002-2006 Research Student and Lab Tutor, Department of Computing, City University, EC1V 0HB London, UK. Research on normative aspects of language for the specification of normative protocols of communication. (PhD Thesis).
Participation in Research Projects
- Researcher in the NewsReader project: Building structured event Indexes of large volumes of financial and economic Data for Decision Making, funded by the Grant agreement no.: 316404 – Co-funded by the EU - FP7 Work Programme Call FP7-ICT-2011-8
- Researcher, OpeNER project: Open Polarity Enhanced Named Entity Recognition, funded by the FP7-2011-ICT-SME-DCL call on Sharing Language Resources.
- Researcher in the SKATER project: Grant agreement TIN2012-38584-C06-01 funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
- Researcher in the PATHS Project: Personalised Access to Cultural Heritage Spaces. PATHS was funded by the European Commission FP7 under Digital Libraries and Digital Preservation programme which started on January 1st 2010 and run for three years.
- Consultant at Vicomtech-IK4 for the SUMAT CIP-ICT-PSP 270919 European project (2011-2012).
- Technical Coordinator of SUMAT CIP-ICT-PSP 270919 European project.
- Torres Quevedo Contract: Aplicación del Procesamiento del Lenguage Natural a la Innovación Empresarial. (2010-2011).
- Previous research projects: Etortek Berbatek, MAVIR, ESRC/EPSRC E-drama, EPSRC ATT-Meta
Talks and Seminars
- Committee Member at the International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS 2015).
- Reviewer for Knowledge Based Systems
- Reviewer for IEEE Inteligent Systems
- Reviewer for the journal Artificial Intelligence Review
- Reviewer for the Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research (JAIR)
- Committee Member of WNCP 2015 workshop
- KESA 2016 Committee Member
- Scientific Committee, The 9th edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, 26-31 May, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Program Committee, 5th International Workshop on EMOTION, SOCIAL SIGNALS, SENTIMENT & LINKED OPEN DATA, at the 9th edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, 26-31 May, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Scientific Committee, The eighth international conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2012), 21-27 Mayo 2012, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Reviewer, 13th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (Cicling-2012), March 11-17, 2012, New Delhi, India.
- Reviewer, 6th Global WordNet Conference 2012 (GWC 2012), 9-13 January, Matsue, Japan.
- Program Committee Member, Semantics Track, EMNLP 2011
- Reviewer, Journal of Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, 2011.
- Reviewer, ACL-HLT 2011.
- Reviewer for the Language Resources and Evaluation Journal, Springer, 2010.
Service and leadership
- Currently signed in to 14423 different slack teams